About Shakespeare & Beyond
Shakespeare & Beyond is a Folger Shakespeare Library blog about a wide range of Shakespeare-related topics: performance trends, theater and literary history, the time period in which Shakespeare lived, pop culture connections, and more.
Are you a Shakespeare scholar, an expert in the early modern period, or a theater professional? Consider becoming a contributor to Shakespeare & Beyond. The Folger promotes these blog posts in email newsletters, on the home page of folger.edu, and on our social media channels.
What to write
We’re looking for blog posts written for a general audience. Each blog post should be 400-900 words.
Examples of what to write about:
- Understanding, evaluating, or appreciating a particular Shakespeare play or character
- Comparing multiple plays or characters in the context of a theme
- Applying an aspect of the world in which Shakespeare lived to how we understand his plays
- Telling a story about a remarkable Shakespeare performance, performer, or other piece of theater history
- Explaining how the interpretation of a play or a character has changed over time
- Demonstrating Shakespeare’s global reach and influence
The Folger Shakespeare Library is the world’s largest Shakespeare collection, and we prioritize blog posts that connect to objects in our collection.
How to submit
Submit a proposal of less than 100 words to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. Most of our blog posts are written in the third-person; if you’re planning to write from a first-person perspective, please note so in your proposal. Please also submit (1) a short bio, and (2) any links to representative writing samples if available.
The Folger Shakespeare Library publishes its own editions of Shakespeare’s plays. Please use Folger Digital Texts when quoting lines from the plays.