Quiz: Which Shakespearean Item Are You?

Take a quick quiz and we’ll tell you which iconic object from a Shakespeare play matches your personality. Tell us your item in the comments!

• Hi Ben, this was a fun survey: it says I’m letters! Yeah. It’s funny, I’ve been working on a chapter for my book (Shakespeare’s Auditory Worlds, co-edited with Laury Magnus) which deals with the letters in Twelfth Night. All of those letters do make it to their intended recipients, but the delivery systems are flawed. The delivery is interrupted and then the letter is read out by someone else which reinterprets the intent. Of course, it’s more complicated than that, but Alan Stewart’s book on letters in Shakespeare is a good start. And just for the record, I think that there are four letters in Twelfth Night; he says three.
    Thanks for the diversion!

• Desdemona’s handkerchief! “Everyone wants a piece of you.” Man, I’m learning that in my new position at work! Ugh!!

• I was intrigued to see your comments on letters (Walter Cannon), but disappointed to see you limited it to the one play. I have been teaching Hamlet for a number of years to my English students and am fascinated by the three letters sent by Hamlet late in the play. One is to Horatio and that is read out loud; the second is to Claudius and that too is openly read; however, the third is to the Queen and it is not read out. My theory is that it is the reason Gertrude suddenly deserts Claudius, but I have seen no research that speaks to it, albeit I have not looked very carefully. I would love to see what others think.

• Regarding the letters in Hamlet. I just played Claudius in a production in Elsinore- when the messenger brought the letters and said “these for your majesty, this for the Queen.”, I took them all. That rat , ahem, fat bastard Hamlet was not going to communicate anything to Gertrude that I didn’t know about.
    In retrospect, as Claudius’ next line is “Laertes, you shall hear them”, I think the implication is that Claudius got more than one letter, unless the second was the one word post script “alone”.