We’ve got five great ideas for a Shakespeare-themed Halloween costume, from Hermione to Touchstone.
Plus, see our picks from 2017 and 2016:
- Cleopatra, Mark Antony, Falstaff, Ophelia, Snug the Lion, King Richard III, Julia/Viola/Rosalind
- The Gravedigger, Bottom, Petruchio, Malvolio, the Soothsayer, a witch from Macbeth, Diana
1) Hermione from The Winter’s Tale
This one is less about the costume, since the key to pulling off Hermione is to strike dramatic statue poses throughout the evening.
2) The dog (Crab) from The Two Gentlemen of Verona
This one is sort of cheating. You just need to dress as a dog.
3) Isabella from Measure for Measure
White sheets are so versatile: You can use them to dress as the ghost of Hamlet’s father, drape them as a toga for a character out of Julius Caesar or another Roman play, or fashion them into a nun’s habit.
4) Bardolph from Henry V
The key to this costume is the big red nose.
5) Touchstone from As You Like It
If you’re going in costume as a motley fool, don’t hold back.